The Biblioteca/Mediateca are two internal sectors of the European Cultural Association of the Joint Research Centre (JRC) of the European Commission (EC) located at the Ispra site and are available to its ordinary members for cultural purposes in accordance with the Statute and the Internal Rules.
The specific purposes of the two sectors are the following:
- the Biblioteca allows the free use of books, albums and magazines;
- the Mediateca allows the free use of musical CDs, DVDs, LPs and films (on DVDs or VHS-tapes);
Location and opening hours
Ispra site, building 1, first floor, entrance from outside the JRC
Monday, from 9:00 to 11:30
Thursday, from 9:00 to 12:30
Associazione Culturale Europea – TP 014
Via Enrico Fermi, 1 – 21027 Ispra (VA) – Italy
Terms of free use of the above articles
- For the free use of the above articles, an annual membership of the related sector is requested (see annual management document with registration fees and application rules).
- The maximum number of articles of the same sector in free use at a given time is 5 for each member. A disc album with 5 or more discs is counted as 5 articles.
- The fixed free use duration for an article is normally 1 week, except for books and language courses which can be kept 4 weeks.
- In case of late return, you will be charged with a penalty of € 1.50 for each article and each extra week (or fraction).
- The maximum penalty is € 15.00 for each article.
- If you are late in returning or in debt for penalties, you cannot ask for other material of the related sector, as long as your position is not regularized.
- In case of loss/damage of an article you will be asked to refund the whole cost of replacement (min. 15 €).
Please note that holidays are added to the allowed time of free use.
In order to join one of the sectors Biblioteca/Mediateca, each ordinary member must have a valid contract with the JRC. People from outside the JRC are not eligible to become a member.
Each member of one or more sectors will receive a personalized membership card for which the following rules apply:
- An annual inscription fee for the membership is requested.
- The membership card can only be used by the card holder and its direct family members and it is not transferable to anyone else.
- The membership card has to be presented on each visit to the sector personnel (person in charge or volunteers).
- Upon termination of the contract with the JRC, the card has to be returned.
- The person in charge of one of the Biblioteca/Discoteca/Videoteca sectors reserves the right to expel card holders upon violation of the membership rules and/or the rules under ‘Terms of Free Use’, after discussion and agreement with the board of the Comitato Culturale.
Person in charge
The person in charge of each sector is elected during the general elections of the Comitato Culturale by the all statutory staff of the Ispra site (Art. 3 of the Statute).
The main tasks of the person in charge are the following:
- He/she is responsible for the functioning and efficiency of the sector, ensuring the good management of the free use of material (books/discs/films) with the support of volunteers.
- He/she is the owner (together with the treasurer) of the bank account headed to the respective sector.
- He/she takes care of the financial management of his sector with the observance of the financial regulations of the JRC and he will check the financial balance of his sector to be compatible with COPAS criteria (Art. 11 of the Statute).
- He/she takes advice of the consultation group, consisting mainly of the volunteers, for the definition of choices related to the cultural program and the purchases of the sector (Art. 4 & 12 of the Statute).
- He/she will prepare the editing of the annual report describing the cultural actions performed and COPAS credits consumed. This report will be sent to the president and the treasurer
Volunteers and consultation group
The nomination of volunteers and members of the consultation group is under the direct responsibility of the person in charge for each sector (Art.12 of the Statute).
The main tasks of the volunteers in each sector are as follows:
- They are in charge of the daily management of the sector, participate to the cultural initiatives of the sector during the consultation group meetings and collaborate to the sector programme execution. Regular meetings within each sector are desirable.
- They collaborate during the opening hours to the running of the sector, dealing with the giving out and picking up of material for free use, checking also any material damage.
- They deal with catalogue updating, including suggestions for new purchase in the dat a base, informing the person in charge of any correction/cancellation/withdrawing or loss of material and of any payment/expense in relation with the purchases.
- They collaborate free of payment and in agreement with these internal rules.
Harmonised procedures and approval
Harmonized procedures for issuing of membership card, payment of registration fees and free use of material should be followed in accordance with the Statute and the Internal Rules.
In particular, the following rules apply:
- Any change or improvement of the procedures will be prepared by the president and approved by the board.
- The treasurer will collect all the contributions to the annual report in order to be presented and approved collegially at the next meeting of the board, before sending it to the COPAS secretary (Art. 16 of Statute).
- The person in charge will archive the documentation related to the financial management and the bank account of his/her sector and will be asked to show those at any request of the board or the treasurer.
- The reimbursement of expenses supported by the sector volunteers for the authorized purchases will be executed by the person in charge against invoices and documents approved by the treasurer.
- The agreement of the person in charge is compulsory for commitments related to specific expenses (i.e. publications, distribution of announcement and posters, post office and telephone bills) which are charged to the Ispra site (see JRC financial regulation).
- The internal website will present the main activities of the Comitato Culturale, including the list of all the elected members and the nominated volunteers. It will be regularly updated, including calendars and catalogues of each sector. On-line consultation of the main catalogues (Biblioteca / Discoteca / Videoteca) is promoted.
- The public closure of the sectors, during the summer and winter holidays, is announced by the secretary after agreement with the individual sectors.
Protection of personal data and contact
The collected personal data are processed in compliance with the Regulation (EC) n. 45/2001. Any request of information should be addressed to the person in charge of each sector or to the secretary of the Comitato Culturale (see privacy statement).